Employers and people who break the no smoking law can be penalized $100 for the first offense and $500 afterward. Casinos and tobacco stores are often exempt and many hotels are contesting liability if customers smoke in the privacy of their hotel room.
About 22% of the population smokes cigarettes and will be affected by the ban. Organizations who provide stand-alone smoking cessation programs typically find very low interest and success among employees. Each smoker who quits smoking in your organization will save you $1,623 in annual medical costs alone, in addition to recovered productivity, hospital and sick days that are significantly higher among smokers.
Here are the most effective tobacco cessation strategies:
- Develop and communicate a policy barring tobacco anywhere on your property.
- Determine which smoking cessation resources are paid by your company health insurance (e.g., nicotine replacement products/medication, telephone support, group classes, private counseling).
- Contact community organizations such as the American Cancer Society and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) for resources.
- Expect much higher engagement and success when providing tobacco education as part of a health risk appraisal or overall health program.
- Provide educational materials (e.g., brochures, paycheck stuffers, fliers, newsletters, videos, etc) to engaged your workforce in the above.
For a free guide of proven smoking cessation resources contact us.
Scott Foster is President and ROI Expert for Wellco Corporation, based in Michigan. Wellco works with companies who want to measurably improve dangerous and costly health conditions through prevention. Wellco specializes in health ROI systems, health risk appraisals, wellness programs, speaking, and consulting. Wellco is the developer of the award-winning HealthHammer, the first and only Zero Trend Appraisal system.
You may reprint any items from Health Trends Blog in your own print or electronic newsletter. When you do, please include the following paragraph: Reprinted from “HealthTrendsBlog.com,” free, proven corporate health and wellness ROI strategies and market intelligence. Subscribe and receive a free gift at www.wellcocorp.com (c) Copyright 2010 by Wellco Corporation.